Gila County, AZ

By Michael Liddy on September 13th, 2008

“Gila County was formed from parts of Maricopa and Pinal counties on February 8, 1881, and was extended eastward to the San Carlos River by petition in 1889. It contains 3,040,000 acres. The county was named fro the Gila River, which forms part of its southern boundary. The county seat was established at what was originally called Globe City, now Globe, an important copper mining center.

The elevation of Gila County varies from 2,123 feet at Roosevelt Dam to 7,153 feet at Mount Ord. Over half of the county is occupied by the San Carlos Indian Reservation, which in turn extends into Graham County for half its own area. The principal industries of Gila County have always been and continue to be mining and the raising of livestock.”(1)

County Profile-Arizona Department of Commerce
Local Government Website





Cities of County
Canyon Day
Central Heights-Midland City
Globe-County Seat
Huachuca City
Pine Strawberry




Sites to See
Gila County Library District
Pine-Strawberry Museum
Located on Route 87 (Beeline Highway)
P.O. Box 564 Pine, Arizona 85544
(928) 476-3547
The Museum of the Forest (Northern Gila County Historical Society)
1001 W. Main St., P. 0. Box 2532, Payson, AZ 85547
Gila County Historical Museum
1330 N Broad St AZ
(520) 425-7385
Rim Country Museum
700 Green Valley Parkway, Payson, AZ 85541
Wednesday-Sunday 12:00 Noon to 4:00 p.m.
Closed Mondays, Tuesdays and Christmas

Books/Manuscripts found in the ASU Library Catalog
A. Cone Webb collection, 1890-1970 (bulk 1890-1933) [manuscript]
Copper bottom tales : historic sketches from Gila County / W.A. Haak.
F817.G5 H32x 1991
Prehistoric and historic Gila County, Arizona / Dan Rose.
F817.G3 R72x
Preliminary report, history, physiography and governmental relationships : Gila County.
XCGI 3.2:P 49
Apache Trail, 1916-1991 : the wonder trip through oldest America / rephotography by William C. Packard ; vintage photographs by H.C. Tibbitts ; essay by Richard Pearce-Moses.
F812 .P33x 1991

  1. Barnes, Will C.; Granger, Byrd (ed.) Arizona Place Names University of Arizona Press. 1960.P. 94 [?]