Mohave County, AZ
By Michael Liddy on September 13th, 2008
Mohave County contains parts of Grand Canyon National Park and Lake Mead National Recreation Area and all of the Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument. The Kaibab, Fort Mojave and Hualapai Indian Reservations also lie within the county.
Mohave County was the one of four original Arizona Counties created by the 1st Arizona Territorial Legislature. The county territory was originally defined as being west of latitude 113° 20? and north of the Bill Williams River. Pah-Ute County was created from it in 1865 and was merged back into Mohave County in 1871 when much of its territory was ceded to Nevada in 1866. The county’s present boundaries were established in 1881.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 13,470 square miles (34,886 km²), of which, 13,312 square miles (34,477 km²) of it is land and 158 square miles (409 km²) of it (1.17%) is water. The county is the fifth largest U.S. county in area (excluding boroughs and census areas in Alaska), exceeded in size only by adjacent San Bernardino County, California (20,053 square miles), adjacent Coconino County (18,617 square miles), and the Nevada counties of Nye (18,147 square miles) and Elko (17,179 square miles).
The Colorado River forms most of the county’s western boundary, and California, Nevada and Utah all border it. The river also runs east to west through Mohave County, dividing it between two of Arizona’s geographic regions, the Arizona Strip in the north and the Mojave Desert in the south.(1)
A cool Chronology of Mohave County, AZ